Tuesday 24 June 2014

Week 5 - Colombia/Cartagena - 4th-12th April 2014


COLOMBIA - I arrived in Cartagena after taking a flight from Panama-Bogota-Cartagena. 

During my connection flight from Bogota to Cartagena, I had the pleasure to meet the Director of a ship building company, Captain Carlos Mojica. We sat together on the flight and talked the whole way. It was an absolute pleasure, such a lovely person he was, and showed quite an interest in my project. He kindly gave me his contact details and has made himself available to help me on anything that I needed during my trip in Cartagena - my very first positive experience in Colombia, which just went to show how wrong this misconception about this beautiful country and its people is.

Colombia was the country I was fearing the most in terms of safety for a solo female traveler like me - I even went into Krav Maga classes (self-defence) in order to cross Colombia more safely. Couldn't have been more misplaced!

As it happened, people like Mr Mojica and many other ended up proving that not only were Colombians super friendly and helpful, but they also took care of you to make sure you had the bestest experience in their country.
I met some really nice people along the way, from all different places - see pics further down below.


Cartagena is a beautiful small town, with some very cute looking buildings. The pace is much slower, and people like to enjoy their cervezas outside in the terrace. :)

I stayed in the beautiful Hostal Papaya in the Getsemaní area: 
http://www.hostalpapaya.com/servicios.html 
Totally recommend it.

Here are a few photos of the old town:



























Healthy lunch at http://crepesywaffles.com.co




Miam miam….
My favourite place for an EOD cold beer…. ;)



….and for meeting up with some great people from Estonia, Argentina and locals!









Tour - Islas del Rosario

Long story…. boat entertainment… :- /
Aaahh…yes!

Yes yes yes! ;)
































IMPORTANT REMINDER!!!!!!
(you'd think it's obvious….but you wouldn't believe the amount of objects we found on the beach…)












Lunch!


And, at last, I made it to Playa Blanca!






Happy times…!


Back to town, to make some really nice friends with some Brazilian buddies! More happy times!

More long stories… accident between boats…




















Cartagena just makes you smile


After a few amazing days in Cartagena, it was time to hit the road - 16hr bus journey to Medellín.
I drove with Rapido Ochoa, pretty amazing buses, safe, with Wifi and everything, and I had the 2 seats all for myself :)
We rode through the night, but I couldn't sleep….way too many curves, speed, overtaking others on those precise curves around the Andes…. Now, the views were absolutely breathtaking!!!!

Medellín is the next stop!



No comments:

Post a Comment